Monday, January 19, 2009

Trauma

Lauren and I had dental appointments this morning and we both have to go back because we both need a filling. This is my first new filling in 17 years (although a lovely root canal has happened in the meantime along with a lovely porcelain crown). This will be Lauren's first filling. And when she found out she needed a filling she sobbed. And sobbed. And sobbed some more. As if she's just learned that a dear friend had died or something horrid had happened.

In those moments I have a hard time responding. On the one hand, I want to comfort her. On the other, it is just a filling. Good gravy.

So I talked her down a bit and made some corny asides. I bet there'll be more tears in mid-February when she goes back.

She has been tearier than normal (ok, she's actually cried a few times versus her normal, non-crying mode) and I keep wondering if we are heading in puberty. NOOOOOOOOO! Once it starts I lose my sweet girl for several years.

Now I want to cry!

1 comment:

cyclefreaks said...

oh god, puberty already? let's hope not...

I bet I need a filling ...