Friday, January 23, 2009

Toothy

Lauren lost a tooth this week. She'd lost all the front ones a few years ago. This was one of her pre-molars. Being the sweet, gullible thing that she is, she still totally believes in the tooth fairy. Tuesday night (evening of dinner-time tooth loss) at bed time she announced that she wasn't going to put her tooth under the pillow yet. She said that she wanted to know what the tooth fairy does with the teeth. Essentially, if the tooth fairy uses the teeth in a manner that Lauren is ok with then Lauren will put the tooth under the pillow. Luckily she did not have time to write the note then because it was time to go to bed.

So I spent Wendesday annoying my coworkers (more than normal) with tooth fairy questions. I could come up with plenty of reasons but mine were all a bit morbid. And although a large part of me did think about how much money we could save (ok, not that much!) by making it so Lauren never left a tooth under her pillow again, the other side of me- the side that loves Lauren's ability to believe in fantasy and be a kid- knew that was a bad plan.

My friend Shelly gave me the answer. What happens with the teeth is an occupational secret. Like ancient Chinese secret but with the tooth fairy.

Lauren finally got around to writing the note and putting the tooth under her pillow last night. I spent 20 minutes crafting a tooth fairy-worthy response. And even managed to exchange everything out when I woke from my nap on the couch.

Can't wait to see what she thinks.

I should add that the tooth fairy has written Lauren before. One time the tooth fairy did not leave anything- Lauren was bummed but left her tooth under her pillow again the next night and got a nice note about how the tooth fairy had been on vacation and couldn't get back. Talk about guilt!

2 comments:

cyclefreaks said...

that is awesome. :) let us know how she reacted to the note!

morning miles said...

She did not even mention it. I was in the shower the next morning when she came in the bathroom. Not a word. I asked her what the tooth fairy left and she only mentioned money.

So this weekend I asked if she had ever heard back from the tooth fairy. She showed me the note (which I read very slowly). Who knows?