Friday, January 2, 2009

Add furniture please

So my mom called the other day. If you know my mom, this story is par for the course. If you don't know her, just understand that she is a very nice person but sometimes, well, a bit dense. For example, one time she had been working on the crossword in the paper but was stumped. I looked over her answers. One clue was looking for a 3 letter word meaning "genetic information." She filled in "gna" (this is for real- I may not be the most brilliant but as a science teacher I was quite aghast).

Back to the phone call. She and my dad are in the middle of a big remodel. The remodel started in August and I think they'll be lucky if it is done in February. My dad had dropped her off at the mall on his way into work the other day. She went to Macy's and Dillard's to check out chairs (apparently she is looking for wing back chairs) but the stores didn't have what she wanted. So she had decided to shop on-line and was asking me how to look for them. She had found some Hooker chairs she wanted. She said, "so do I just type in www. hooker . com?"

Um, no. I said, "Mom, I think you might actually get a real hooker if you type that in."

Mom "Oh."

The thought never even entered her mind. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to explain to her that google is a search engine (she had a few other, less potentially interesting, thing to find). But part of me wishes she would have tried the hooker URL.

It made me think of a mistake I made a few years ago- I meant to type in hotmail but inadvertently entered homtail. Not what I was expecting.

And I would blame my mother's lack of computer savvy on her age but Dave's parents are older than she is and they are both pretty with it.

Obviously, I haven't mentioned this blog to my mom. She would check it every day, after I spent 2 hours explaining what a blog is. And she would post super sweet responses like, "I love you honey" and "how dare you post such ugly pictures of my darling grandchild- you are out of our will."

2 comments:

cyclefreaks said...

she sounds a little like my mom. love her to death but sometimes i wonder where my brains came from. :)

morning miles said...

I just have to shake my head.